CAREERS AT CENTER CITY
Center City’s mission is to empower our students for success through a rigorous academic
program and strong character education. We believe in educating the whole child. If you
share our belief and commitment to this mission, then you may be ready to be a Center
VIEW OUR CURRENT AND SY17-18 POSITIONS HERE: START MY APPLICATION!
The Center City team includes a wide range of education professionals, from classroom
teachers at our campuses to administrative professionals at our central office. Center City is
always seeking individuals who are qualified and passionate about urban education. The
following pages explain how Center City enables motivated education professionals to
change the lives of school children in the District of Columbia.
Why Work at Center City?
ONGOING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Center City recognizes that our teachers, just like our students, are life-long learners. We also know that investments in employee professional development and career success are significant factors in employee satisfaction. Therefore, we provide extensive professional development opportunities, including workshops, professional learning communities, and coaching to improve the quality of instruction. As educators, we share the ultimate goal of improving student outcomes.
TEACHER VOICE MATTERS
Teachers matter at Center City and we take every opportunity to listen and learn. Through informal discussions, gatherings, surveys and networking events, teachers always have an opportunity to share. Center City believes in open and honest communication and we celebrate being an authentic and diverse community.
TEACHERS HAVE LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Center City teachers have the opportunity to serve as Master Teachers, taking on additional responsibilities and building their leadership skills. Center City teachers may also serve as curriculum writers, family engagement leads, or Summer Academy Directors.
Who Are We Looking For?
At Center City PCS, we look for educators who are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that all students maximize their potential and have these core attributes:
- Fundamental belief that all students can succeed
- Desire to continually improve their practice
- A positive attitude and the highest standards for themselves professionally
- A commitment to developing character in students
- Ability to engage all students in learning
- Capacity to use a wide range of instructional strategies to meet the needs of all students
- In-depth knowledge of content and Common Core State Standards
- Willingness to work hard and never give up on behalf of our students
- Desire to engage parents as partners in the education process
These core attributes are the foundation for success at Center City PCS. The position descriptions more thoroughly outline the criteria and expectations for each instructional position.
Teacher Qualifications: The Basics
While every teacher is different, Center City PCS seeks candidates with:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in an applicable subject area;
- A passing Praxis exam score by OSSE standards for the applicable grade level or subject area; and
- One year of full-time teaching experience, preferably in an urban environment.
“I enjoy working at Center City because of the close relationship I have with not only staff, but families as well. It’s a great place to grow and develop professionally. I enjoy the moments where my scholars excel and continue to close the achievement gap.”
-Jonathan Robertson, Trinidad